Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cobb, Bottega, Wine Entre Femme and Kunde TTL

Or why I may need a few days without a drink.
Sunday I was delighted to attend the Cobb Pinot tasting at Jardinere in SF. As I have mentioned before, I am a big fan of their wines. Sunday was also special because not only did I get to meet Cindy, the winemakers lovely wife, but their absolutely adorable daughter was there as well.
They were tasting three wines:
  1. 2007 Jack Hill – This is the first commercial release of this wine from a 2 acre vineyard near Occidental. This wine surprised me. It was much more in the Russian River style and fruitier than most of those I have tried frm Cobb.
  2. 2007 Emmaline – is located closer to Sebastopol, but is still influenced by the ocean air. This wine was crying out for food. It was structured and balanced.
  3. 2007 Coastlands - Coastlands was first planted in 1989 and as I Thea and Lorraine grew sick of hearing, it is my favorite of the Cobb wines. I tasted white pepper, cherries, some soil. Just a truly lovely wine.
You can take a look at Thea's thoughts here: http://lusciouslushes.com/2010/02/c-a-golden-ray-of-sun

Next up was dinner Monday night with future UC Press author Lisa Shara Hall at Bottega in Yountville. Lisa is writing a book for us on Oregon wines and we talked about not just wine but education and relationships and much more. I look forward to working with her. He shared a bottle of Nebbiolo, which was listed as the wrong year on the wine list. I enjoyed my burrata with winter squash and short ribs quite a bit.

On Tuesday I was lucky to attend the Wine Entre Femme tasting in SF. Wine Entre Femme is an informal and non-competitive gathering of women in wine who have a strong desire to make connections, share ideas and information and support other women in wine. Wines at the tasting were from the US, Australia, France and even Japan. I tasted some lovely wines, but more importantly had a chance to talk with the women involved. My tasting notes are at the office, I'll add in some more detail tomorrow.

Finally, tonight I participated in the Twitter Tasting Live with Kunde Estates. We tasted their 2008 Wildwood Vineyards Chardonnay and the 2007 Cabernet. The chardonnay was tropical with some nice spices. I'm looking forward to tasting it a bit more as it warms. The cab was young, but is already softening with air. I'll taste it later in the evening and maybe tomorrow as well.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us last night for the TasteLive event!

    Marcia Kunde Mickelson
    4th Generation Winegrower
    Kunde Family Estate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm looking forward to reading your tasting notes on the San Francisco event. Glad you had a chance to talk to these very special women - as you know, I was knocked out by them. :-)

    I'm curious - what is a Twitter Tasting? I realize it has something to do with Twitter - just curious about how it works. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle
    if you send me your email I can give you more Twitter tasting details or you can look at http://www.tastelive.com/

    ReplyDelete