Sunday, February 14, 2010

A-Z Update (Or What has Amy been drinking)

Still working on the A-Z challenge. If you are curious, you can check here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tR8Ns33Ynq4gdnNJ17gc9mA&output=html
I'd love your suggestions for letters! Lisa Shara Hall sent me a great list, but more ideas are more than welcome.

As faithful readers know, this week started out with a visit to Terroir and Bi-Rite for some "interesting wines." It ended last night with another visit to Terroir, but before we get to that, a few more wines of the week.

Wednesday was Burgundy day at the Terroirs & Signatures De Bourgogne 2010 tasting in San Francisco. This was my first time at this event and I was pleased to discover a wide selection of wines as well as the most organized tasting booklet I have encountered. Maps! Exhibitors listings with booth numbers! Exhibitors portraits accompanying wines lists. Very well done.

I do not drink a lot of Burgundy these days. Not because I do not enjoy it, but because of price point. That made it especially nice to be able to compare across a variety of producers.
As always, a few highlights:

Domaine Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru, les Cazetiers 2007 Deep red with strong fruit but minerals to back it up. I would love to see how this is in a few years. The 2008 Latricieres-Chambertin was quite elegant.

Maison Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru, les Clos des Mouches 2007 I was tasting mostly reds as I find it impossible to taste everything at a tasting. This wine, however, was at the Exhibitor's Choice Table and was truly lovely. I also tasted at the Drouhin table and liked the Vaudon Chablis 2008 and the Gevrey Chambertin 2007 very much. This table was not unexpectedly one of my favorites of the day.

Domaine des Malandes 2007 Chablis Grand Cru, les Clos was another white that I enjoyed. Dry, crisp and plenty of mineral.

Domaine Roux Pere & Fils Vougeot 1er Cru, les Petits Vougeots 2006 was showing beautifully and will continue to improve as it matures.

As always, apologies to all of those that I did not have time to taste.

Last night I returned to Terroir with my friend Lo. We sat at the counter and enjoyed 04 Volette and the López de Heredia 1999 Rioja ,which was medium bodies and complex with plenty of fruit and spices. You can read more about their wines at http://www.lopezdeheredia.com/. The highlight for me was a Domaine Valette ‘Le Clos de Monsieur NolyPouilly-Fuissé 1999 Burgundy, France which was golden in color, wth hints of caramel, yet balanced with acidity. It was truly stunning. Clearly a wine to seek out.

Today a day of rest. Tomorrow off to wine country for some more tastings. Reports are sure to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment