|Picking plums for jam|
Am I a bad parent if I admit here that I am jealous of K's next summer camp? In a summer of camps that has included animals at the SPCA, designing her own clothing, and movie making and karaoke here, next week she will be at Sprouts.
From their website:
Join us for our 6th annual summer camp! Our 1 week, 9-5 p.m. camps offer hands-on, affordable cooking classes with guest chefs with experience from ingredient-driven restaurants like Tartine Bakery, Delfina, Pizzaiolo, Chez Panisse, Cafe Fanny and more! Camps run weekly, from 9-5 p.m. from June 25th to August 3rd. The first half of summer camps is based at Whole Foods Berkeley while the second half is based at The Ferry Building. Throughout the day, kids will go on culinary excursions to local restaurants, gardens, and farms where they will cook, hands-on, with real chefs.
She has her "kit" ready to go:
- Chef’s knife (with knife guard)
- Pairing knife (with knife guard)
- Heat-resistant spatula
And what will she be doing? The schedule has finally arrived. Below, a preview:
· Choppin, punchin our dough and rolling out some personal whole wheat pizzas--summer goodness, fresh pizza sauce, and loads of fun with Chef Hollie from Sprouts Cooking Club!
· Confections, Concoctions and Culinary Creations with Luis from La Victoria Bakery and Citizen's Cake
· Provincial French Baking with Laurie Ellen of Tartine Bakery. Oo la la!
· Power Play! Kids Cook for Adults! Kids will cook with 'Chef Sam' to prepare a lunch for themselves and 150 adults right at the AirBNB offices!
· Making Croque Monsieurs and Madames with Chef Mark Sullivan at his restaurant, Cafe Des Amis. Parents, your young chef will even come home with a "croque" ticket to come in another time and enjoy a croque of your choice on the house!
· A Mexican Fiesta And A Salsa Slam!
· Improvisation Breakfast Day: Bring one delicious idea and one hearty ingredient from home! We will provide the basic pantry! AND...you'll cook for the CUESA community!
· Food and My Community--Makin' homemade tortillas, sofrito flavored rice, n kickin black beans with Chef Hollie from Sprouts!
· A tortellini Twist at Flour & Water alongside Chef Thomas, a 2011/ 2012 James Beard nominee
· Flame-less market cookin’!
· Korean Craze with the head chef of Namu right at their restaurant!
· Palette play at Gelateria NAIA!
· Choppin', stuffin', and baking summer veggies with Sarah Henkin of Square Meals, formerly the Market Chef for the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market!
· A Cook-Off with Bar Agricole! It's a culinary battle of palate play, rainbow produce, and kitchen skills. What team will chop their way to victory?! Guest Chef Mason from Bar Agricole will oversee the battle, and determine our culinary champ. He will also award everyone graduation certificates!
· Tcho-a-holics! There is no better way to end our camp than with a chocolate kick! Kids will receive a private tour of the Tcho chocolate factory and a titillating taste of some of the best stuff on earth.