Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ryan Farr Dinner

ZAP write up to come, hopefully Monday.

After ZAP, I napped, with the plan of having enough energy for the Ryan Farr dinner at Flora Grubb Gardens. Fittingly, to finish a day of zin, this was a meal of meat and more meat. The portions were enormous and service was lovely and much more organized than many events I have attended. Some great pictures are available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maiacybelle/
I've copied the menu below but want to mention a few highlights.
As always, I had more of the chicarrones than one should consume. As my friends said, "They are crack."
The Terrine en Croute was a nice start, though the woman sitting next to me was very intimidated by the blood sausage.
The handmade sausage was wonderful-flavorful, and lovely with the pinot.
The beef was beautifully roasted on a spit outdoors and served with a perfect nettle puree. One of my table mates was delighted by the gigantic rib he requested. Although I was very full by that point, I thought the accompanying roast vegetables were a highlight.
The persimmon was not a tart, but persimmons with creme fraiche ice cream and a truly wonderful and adorable lard shortbread cookie shaped like a pig.

I also have to say that the atmosphere was really great. I had not been to Flora Grubb before, but will be back. The creative decor with plants on the ceiling, walls and every space through out the room made me wish I had better luck with indoor plants. I may have to go back for advice.

Cured Meats on a Fence 16-month Dry Aged Ossabaw Ham, Chicarrones, Smoked Bologna, Curry Lardo -Hanger One Dirty Martini-
Head-to-Tail Terrine en Croute Smoked Lengua, Head Cheese, Blood Sausage and Mangalitsa Pork baked in brioche served with Watercress and Crispy Pigs Ears -Magnolia Brewery Prescription Pale Ale -
Handmade Sausage with Pecorino, Fennel and Mustard Violete Chicories, Sourdough Crouton, Onion Confit Vinaigrette -Scribe Winery 2008 Pinot Noir
Spit Roasted Magruder Ranch Beef Winter Vegetables, Bordelaise -Scribe Winery 2004 Cabernet-
Persimmon Tart Anise and Black Pepper Crust, Vanilla Ice Cream -Ritual Roasters Espresso or Macchiato-

No comments:

Post a Comment