Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lemonade Stand


To my delight, it has been a cold summer in San Francisco. While the East Coast has has had warm days again and again, we have rarely gotten above 70. Yesterday, however, it got to be either 98 or 99 or 103 in SF, depending upon which source you believe. Given that this is a city that lacks air conditioning, it was hot as hell.

Mid day a tweet came out:
alphaprep
I need to recruit a six year old to have a perpetual lemonade stand outside the shop here. That, or I'll just do it myself.


That was followed quickly by:
omnivorebooks
@alphaprep Great plan! I bet you could get @educatedpalates daughter Katie to do it!


Soon enough a plan was made. At 2 pm this afternoon K and I manned (girled?) a lemonade stand outside of Omnivore Books. Powdered mix was, of course, not a possibility. We ended up with fresh squeezed lemonade, blackberry lemonade and homemade chocolate chip cookies. To my surprise, the cookies were the most popular.

But I wanted to say a few words about the blackberry lemonade. Because it seemed to confuse people. As I have mentioned before, we have a large number of blackberry bushes in our backyard. Enough that by this point in the season, my hands and lower arms are well scratched. I look like I have been in a fight with a non-domesticated cat and have lost. Last week, I even managed to get a thorn in one of my toes.

Blackberry lemonade was developed for a party last year. It creates the pinkest lemonade I have ever made. The recipe is simple enough, make your favorite lemonade and add frozen blackberries. The liquid turns pink and the berries help to keep the drink cool. Perfect for a summer tea party with a group of 8 year olds, but also interesting enough for adults. Also recommended with added bourbon post sale.

K, by the way, is ready for another stand. Anyone want to join her?

No comments:

Post a Comment