Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Eggs










The colors we are starting with this year.
Easter week re-post. This year we seem to have mainly green and brown eggs onhand and I am very curious to see how the colors come out.

 For several years now I have meant t experiment with so-called natural dyes for Easter Eggs. Thekitchn and Martha Stewart have published gorgeous photos of eggs dyed with vegetables, teas, and vinegar. This year, having just gotten back from Disneyland last night, I convinced my daughter to give it a try.
We started with a head of purple cabbage, both yellow and red onion skin and beets. We chopped the cabbage roughly and put in a large pot with water to cover. The beets were shredded and put in their own pot while the skins were peeled off the onions and placed in individual pots as well. I brought all pots to a boil and then simmered. I then drained the liquid into glass containers, added 3 tablespoons white vinegar and left to cool while I hard boiled two dozen eggs.

After allowing time for the eggs and liquids to cool, and for our guests to arrive we placed the eggs in liquids and refrigerated. The results are below. Can you guess which vegetables led to which colors?

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of natural dying. We dont usually dye eggs but now I think we will. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete