Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fridge recipes: Red Quinoa



Several months ago I bought a package of red quinoa from Rancho Gordo. I bought it for two reasons: One, quinoa is by all accounts a so-called super food that we all should eat more of and, two, it was really pretty. Of course, best intentions aside, it has been sitting in my cupboard. I keep thinking I will do something with it but end up with frittatas or roast chicken or pork. Today though, exhausted from my sleepless travels I decided to cook with food that was in the house. What follows is my very random quinoa recipe.

1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
1 cup water
2 cups chicken stock (I used home made from Soul Food Farms chicken)
salt
pepper
asparagus (I used 2 bunches from the farmers market)
4 beets (I had them in the fridge)
2 T Olive Oil, divided, I used Hudson Ranch
2 T pine nuts, toasted (also, in the fridge)
1 lemon (from the tree in the backyard)

Put quinoa, water and stock in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. At the same time pre-heat your oven to 400 and put asparagus, I snap the ends, and beets in a roasting pan with olive oil, salt and pepper. I like my asparagus to retain crunch and these were plump so I roasted them for 20 minutes. I then removed them from the pan and put the beets back in to roast for an additional 25 minutes. Allow asparagus to cool and cut into approx 1 inch long pieces. After beets cool, remove skins and cut into approx 1 inch pieces. Add to quinoa. While asparagus and beets are roasting, toast pine nuts in a dry skillet on the stove until they just being to color. Toss all ingredients together, add juice of 1 lemon and more olive oil, I used about 1 T. Serve warm or chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment