Thursday, July 7, 2011

Wines of the Tour de France Stage 6

Stage 6: Dinan - Lisieux 226km


Yes, I'm back. I took a few days off because, well, that will be clear some enough. Also, I must admit that the cyclists have not been moving through a significant wine region. And I was pretty happy with my Summer of Riesling Donnhoff Estate 09.
But we had the joy of a Cavenidsh sprint win, a continued fine showing by Cadel Evans and still in yellow, Thor!  But today, we drink. Or, something like that. It was a day for a breakaway that staged a valiant effort under the now familiar grey skies. With some uphill towards the finish, it would not be a day for the pure sprinters and indeed, As expected, Philippe Gilbert was in the mix, as was Hushovd, José Joaquin Rojas and Goss but after Thomas’ perfect lead-out, it was Edvald Boasson Hagen who emerged from the pack to time his sprint immaculately and secure his British team’s maiden win at the Tour de France.

Tomorrow, what looks like a clear sprint stage. But with the importance of the intermediate sprints this year, will it go as predicted or surprise us?

Yellow: Still Thor Hushovd
Stage Edvald Boasson Hagen

Wine: Julien Fremont Brut par nature 09
(again thanks to Greg at Cheese Plus)
Well, here we are in Normandy. And I should probably be drinking Calvados. But, instead: cidre from Julien Fremont.  The Dressner website tells me that: The apples are washed and sorted, then pressed in the press Frémont ancestors built in 1765. Some juice is immediately bottled for apple juice, and the must for cider is put in large vats where fermentation starts. It is essential for fermentation to go slowly, mainly thanks to natural early winter cold, and racking. When the alcohol reaches about 4.5%, the must is bottled so that the secondary fermentation, creating the fizz, can start. This bottling is called Brut par nature.

Reminds me much more of the New England (non alcoholic) ciders of my youth than almost any other cider I have had in years. Funky, fun, shall I go with fermented? Both easy enough to be a picnic/park beverage but interesting enough that I stopped to ponder. Pairs beautifully with my home-grilled pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment