Monday, January 10, 2011

Mystery Box Cooking

So an update on the status of the mystery box vegetables: cauliflower and beets roasted over the weekend and packed to take to work for lunch. However, many of the other items sit in the fridge still, mocking me each time I open the door. As I'm home with a sick K today, I chose not to eat the roasted vegetables but to make something warm and comforting with some of the remaining box items- a quick lunch that will hopefully protect me from some of her germs. This is really cooking without a recipe, but I'll include one anyway.

Whole Wheat Pasta with Bacon and Cabbage

6 slices bacon, chopped
4 small onions, chopped finely
1 large head cabbage, chopped roughly
salt and pepper to taste
Whole wheat or other pasta of choice

Saute bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium to low heat until slightly cooked, not yet crispy but no longer raw. Add onion and saute until soft. Add cabbage, in batches if necessary and continue to cook, stirring periodically. Heat water and cook pasta according to package directions. Mine took about 15 minutes which was just enough time for my cabbage to cook through. Drain pasta and serve with sauce.
I used about 1/4 of the cabbage mixture for my serving. The leftovers may end up on pasta again or might be a side dish for oh so pretty Fatted Calf pork chop I have thawing in the fridge. Or, I may just eat the rest with a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment