Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tuesdays With Dorie with K: Rhubarb Upside Down Brown Sugar Cake



Tuesdays with Dorie time. Rhubarb! One of us was very excited about this Rhubarb Upside Down Brown Sugar Cake. The other, not so much. But I love rhubarb, so K knew that we'd be making this one even if she was not excited.

So we made a deal: I would handle the rhubarb portion, she would make the cake.  



Easy enough to cut rhubarb and then let it rest with sugar to draw out the juices. I'm also pretty happy to have the drained syrup for cocktail making in the fridge. The rhubarb is then sauteed before being put in the bottom of a cake pan.
At that point, K took over and reports that the batter was easy to make. We did have to bake the cake longer than specified in the recipe. 



The verdict: I love rhubarb, so I would make this again anytime. K was less of a fan, but expressed interest in using the batter to make a different upside down cake in the future.


5 comments:

  1. Glad that both of you found parts of the recipe that you liked! I love rhubarb and even though I made it with pineapple, I'd totally make it again for the batter alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that gorgeous rhubarb! The batter was so easy and delicious, it's a great idea to use it with other fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rhubarb is so pretty and pink! I can't wait to make this again when our is a bit more in season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like rhubarb is one of those things that grows on you. Good thing she liked the cake portion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks beautiful and I think this cake could work with a number of different toppings.

    ReplyDelete