Friday, May 20, 2011

Giro Stage 13 Austrian Alps

So it was a hard day for us anyone but Contador fans as he once again had an absolutely dominant mountain stage. In wet and chilly conditions on the massive Austrian peak, Contador was happy to let Venezuela’s José Rujano take the stage win in the knowledge that his main rivals for the overall title were still a kilometre from the line.

Stage: Rujano
Maglia Rosa: Contador

Region: Austrian Alps
Wine: none
Yup, none. I asked Terry Theise and was assured there is no wine from this region. Which bothered me for a while. But given the cycling news today of Tyler Hamilton's accusations against Lance Armstrong and the did he or didn't he situation with George Hincapie, I don't really feel like drinking to celebrate cycling. I'm not naive, I follow the sport closely enough, including getting up at 4 am to watch the classics live online, to know that not only did doping happen, but it continues to happen. And to a certain extent, I accept that as a fan I will spend far too much time talking about the doping stories with non fans and not the sport itself. Which, of course, should happen as well as a baseball fan, but doesn't. I don't want to bury my head in the sand and ignore reality. But it would be nice, in a week with the Giro (even if less thrilling than last year) and the Tour of California (a race on US soil) to not have this issue dominate the headlines.

CBS News story here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/20/60minutes/main20064858.shtml
Cycling News story: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-hincapie-tells-fda-armstrong-took-peds

Hincapie on twitter:
"I can confirm to you I never spoke with "60 Minutes." I have no idea where they got their information.
As I've said in the past, I continue to be disappointed that people are talking about the past in cycling instead of the future.
As for the substance of anything in the "60 Minutes" story, I cannot comment on anything relating to the ongoing investigation."

I'm going to go watch the end of the Red Sox game.  And think about Roger Clemens and seeing him strike out 20 at Fenway one night.

Tomorrow, back to the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment