Thursday, July 15, 2010

Apricot Jam--the easy way

Apricot Jam--the easy way




40 pounds of apricots-10 to eat raw= 30 pounds of canned apricots.
This year we decided on apricot chutney, apricot jam with amaretto, apricot jam flavored with their kernels, apricots with alcohol (brandy and Qi) and apricot syrup ( a lovely by product of the alcoholed fruit).

Here is a basic jam recipe, with kernels. We quadrupled it.

3 pounds ripe apricots
1/2 cup water
6 cups sugar
2 T lemon juice

Slice apricots in half, reserving pits. Crack pits, remove kernels, blanch them in simmering water for 20 minutes. Put the blanched kernels in a spice bag.
In a saucepan combine apricots, bag of kernels and water. Simmered covered for 20 minutes until fruit is soft. Remove from heat.
Add sugar and lemon juice to pan. Heat over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved and then raise the heat to medium high. Boil until jam mounds on a chilled dish. Remove from heat. Remove spice bag ladle into jars and process for 10 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of using the 'kernels' what does this add to the jam? I am enjoying browsing your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, It adds an almond flavor. Try it!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Merry Christmas,
    You are so interesting! I don't believe I've truly read through anything like that before. So wonderful to discover another person with a few unique thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is something that is required on the internet, someone with a bit of originality! If you want to read christmas message for co workers you have to see the link
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Year Quotes And Sayings
    Hi,
    The very next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not disappoint me as much as this particular one.New Year Quotes And Sayings I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I truly thought you would probably have something useful to say. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you could possibly fix if you were not too busy searching for attention.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete