Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stage 17 All Over But the Shouting

Barring any mechanical issues, Alberto Contador won the Tour de France today. Which saddens me for two reasons:
1 We will always wonder what might have happened had Andy Schleck's chain not dropped
2 The race is almost over. Having done Giro wines and Tour wines, I'll be skipping the Vuelta to spend my August with Riesling.

Today's stage was a great one, though I found the ending sad. I am just not a Contador fan. And as mentioned above, he most likely won today not by attacking but by marking Andy Schleck all day.

Yellow: Contador
Stage win: Schleck
Green: Thor

To drink: 2005 Clos Lapeyre "La Magendia" Jurancon (375ml)

They say:
From Clos Lapeyre comes this unctuous 100% Petit Manseng, fermented in new oak barrels. Nuances of exotic fruits (pineapple, mango, passion fruit). Powerful, yet controlled toast and vanilla flavors, with a hint of additional wood spice. Plenty of fat on the palate is accented by a citrus note on the finish which helps lift the fruit to new levels. Rich, sweet and delicious, with fine length. 13.5% abv.

I say: I've been looking forward to this one. I have plans for Sauternes Saturday for the time trial so this is a nice "appetizer." This is not a little wine, fruity and well balanced. Nice acidity and indeed some citrus.

No comments:

Post a Comment