Friday, July 23, 2010

Stage 18 Cav!

Salies-de-Béarn > Bordeaux (198 km)

At the start of the Tour, there are always a few stages that clearly appear to be for the sprinters. Today was one of them and it did not disappoint. Like most of these long, flat stages, it featured a doomed breakaway and the eventual regrouping of the peloton as they neared the finish. Today's winner, to my delight was Mark Cavendish. I admit it, I am charmed by the immensely talented, often out spoken and arguably world's fastest cyclists. One of the most amusing moments from the dull until the last two minutes was the image of Cavendish in the peloton pretending to urge the race forward, imaginary whip in hand.

Yellow: Alberto Contador
Stage winner: Mark Cavendish
Green: to my disappointment, Petacchi

To drink: Well, a traditional Bordeaux would have been too obvious. Also, something I do not keep on hand. So for our two days in Bordeaux I am going white. Tonight Bordeaux Blanc and tomorrow Sauternes.

08 Chateau Ducasse

They say: The old vines are 55% Semillon, 35% Sauvignon, and 10% Muscadelle. There is a gunflint aspect, along with citrus perfumes like citronelle and orange blossom. On the palate too, freshness, and liveliness, which mirrors the exquisite bouquet.

I say: Clean, crisp, easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment